Meet LA (Louise Anne) Marler — American photo artist and third generation typewriter collector. Louise creates mixed-media images from original photography, graphics, illustrations, and paintings, often featuring her vintage machine collections.
With a studio in Santa Monica, CA and St. Louis roots, Louise began work on setting up a studio & gallery in St. Louis during the pandemic. Her gallery, aptly titled LA Marler Gallery, is located 2308 Cherokee St. and will kick off its first exhibit "TypOsphere STL" and the gallery's grand opening celebration on Saturday October 9th — on Cherokee Street 2nd Saturdays.
The TypOsphere StL integrates significant historical, educational and cultural aspects of typewriters in a fine art gallery environment. Louise's vision for this unique new cultural art center is to provide visitors with an analog digital-detox room. "We provide a place where you can remember your nostalgic comfort of simpler times," said Marler.
LA Marler Gallery is located near the southeast corner of Jefferson on Cherokee Street, "where Antique Row meets the integrated arts," explains Marler. "This community embraces history, education, creativity, and retro-style, so it's the ideal location for this concept gallery and it is my honor to bring this to my hometown."
Activities during the grand opening will demonstrate some of the upcoming schedule of fun typewriter-specific and literary-oriented workshops.
- Tom Hanks’ autographed typewriter from his famous collection he donated recently. (Auction forth-coming)
- Evangeline Whitlock, Professor at Webster University discusses the recent StoryCorp recording of Typewriters Friends in the Pandemic and her 30 machine donation
- Lisa Simani explains the value of having inspiring art in your home & workspace.
- Rock Harris, a local collector and IT professional, will discuss technology now & then. He will also host monthly meetings for the St. Louis Typers’ Union meetups at the gallery.
- Contemporary typewriter art exhibit - nationally collected artworks from LA
- BYOT - bring your own typewriter - to show and tell your typewriter story
- Typing - Type a note & mail it. Supplies offered: paper, envelopes, ink ribbons, stamps
Join the Grand Opening Celebration
Location: LA Marler Gallery, 2308 Cherokee Street, St. Louis, MO 63118
Date: Saturday, October 9, 2021
Time: 11 am - 5 pm
Admission: Free and open to the public. Masks required.